Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Alabama Weather

Believe it or not, these 1st 3 pictures were taken less than 24 hours before the last 4 pictures. From the same spot!! Seems crazy.





Maybe it's not so crazy. I've never lived anywhere but in the south so I think it's funny that we can wear shorts one day and need to pull out our snow gear the next. I say that like I have snow gear. We live in Alabama, we don't have snow gear.
So we wake up to snow falling and I start scurrying around to find things to keep my kids dry and warm. I know I better figure it out before they wake up because once they do, they aren't going to wait for me to go outside and play. This is their first snow, and it might be there last for another 5 years or so.
Growing up near Atlanta and in the 70's before global warming...We usually got snow or sleet once a year. Missed school one or maybe 2 days if we were lucky. So I did learn you had to layer and stay dry. We were able to layer. Long johns first, a turtleneck next, then a sweater or sweatshirt, and then a coat that can keep you dry. (Kate wore my rubber raincoat from Target which she was not happy about, but let me tell you, it worked) We had rain boots so 2 pair of socks for layers and the rain boots seem to work. The hard part is the pants, long johns then jeans, but that is going to get wet quick. I wish I had taken a picture of all of the wet clothes right inside my front door. We go out for about an hour, have all we can take, go inside strip it down, layer it up again with clean dry clothes then head out again. We do this atleast 3 or 4 times that day. So the pile of wet clothes in my dining room was rather large.
I don't know if this is crazy or not. I don't know what it is like to live where they get snow more often. Maybe there it is sunny and beautiful the day before the snow comes too. I don't know. I do know that in Alabama, you never put away your shorts. Even in January and February there are going to be short days. I also know that in June, July, or August...there is not going to be a sweater day and layers will not be needed, you can put those away. Hopefully soon!
post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did get snow! Looks like you got much more than us!

My kids were up early ready to go outside. So, we pulled out all the "snow gear" right down to socks on their hands. HAHA! I don't think we even own a pair of gloves! They didn't last long before they were running inside with cute red noses. I just wish the snow lasted more than a few hours! Good ole south!

Heather said...

Where did you guys go sledding?

Anonymous said...

Of course, living here near the beach, snow would really be something. So, we just get to hear about it from all of you who get it every once in a blue moon. Hannah was so jealous of our friends and family who got the snow. Lauren has NEVER been around it. I will have to show her your pictures....looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

Love Wheeler's hair in that last pic. Looks like my childrens hair everyday

Anonymous said...

Just a trick if we ever have another snow storm- Kids come in wet, strip down, clothes in the dryer,PJ's back on, hot chocolate/snack, dryer beeps, time for more fun, back outside in warm from the dryer clothes. There's usually a lost sock or mitten along the way, but it saves on washing later. Glad you had as much fun as I did! I don't think we'll be making chicken and dumplings anytime soon.

Amanda at Amanda's Parties To Go said...

I ran my dryer alot that day too. It's definitely been a crazy weather week and maybe why so many of us seem to be sick now!!! Love the picture of Kate making a snow angel!

Anonymous said...

I live in MS (same town as Dani from icrafty.com) and there is nothing like living in the South.
Run the heater in your car in the mornings...then turn on the AC in the afternoons as you leave work!