Sunday, February 22, 2009

Girls Campout Cake

Martha Stewart I am not, but I got this idea from Parents Magazine online (I think, I've already thrown away the printout). Kate wanted to have a Camp Out at our farm. So I went on line to find ideas...I got this one, and thought it was great! I didn't follow the directions exactly, I used my own creativity but didn't want to take full credit for the idea. I'm still pretty proud of it though.

I bought the cake, iced with the chocolate and green and added the girls in the sleeping bags. I just bought a can of vanilla icing, mixed small amounts with different colors of food coloring and iced 1/4 piece of graham cracker for sleeping bag. The girls faces are Mini Nilla Wafers. I do have one of those icing bags with the different tips for decorating the faces, but you can use the colored icing in the tubes from the grocery store (from Betty Crocker) but make sure you buy the tips so you can use the little writing tip. I also bought a can of chocolate icing for the brown. (I used the canned vanilla icing because it tastes so much better than the tube colored icing, yuch!) I let Kate decorate the sleeping bags and draw on the faces and hair of the girls.


The coolest part, I thought, was the fire, I broke some red and orange gum drops for the flames and covered them with pretzel sticks for logs. Then I put one candle right in the middle of the fire, for a real flame.

If you noticed the 2 extra campers freezing in back because they can't get near the fire for all the girls...That is Wheeler and Mitchel. Wheeler of course kept asking where he and Mitchell were so I let him make 2 more campers. (Really, he just wanted to mix the colors in the icing).


Mitchell doesn't really have yellow eyes.

post signature

7 comments:

Julee H. Nappier said...

How cute is that cake! Love it!

Hope she had a wonderful b'day!

Anonymous said...

Too cute! The fire was way too creative for me! I can never come up with cute ideas for b-day cakes!

Hope her day was wonderful!

Amanda at Amanda's Parties To Go said...

I was so impressed! You gotta love the internet.... you can find great ideas and you did such a great job recreating your own version. Macy & Madison loved it too!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth! That is so amazing. And you say you can't cook... with all of that creativity, I'm sure you can. :)

barclay said...

THat is precious. I only saw the cake after it was cut. I am very impressed!!!

Lisa said...

Absolutely love your site! I came upon it doing a search for 'campout cakes'. I am going to attempt the same design for my daughter's 11th birthday coming up in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it turns out. Beautiful pix of your children. The ones of them walking away from you during different stages of their lives are priceless! You are quite the photographer. Take care.

Anonymous said...

This is cute! I did one before for my dd's bday and used twinkies. I covered them all with a coat of icing on top of the cake and then let each girl decorate the vanilla wafer and sleeping bag. (We used marshmallows for pillows.)

I think we will do these graham cracker ones this year for our God's Girls camp out. I do love the fire!