Friday, January 23, 2009

Bobby Bryson






I didn't go to my 20th High School Reunion because we had some fun stuff going on around here that I didn't want to miss. I wish I had gone. I wish that for many reasons, it will probably be another 20 before we do it again. But today I'm wishing it for another reason.

I lost an old friend on Wednesday. Bob (Bobby is what I call him) Bryson, someone I've known since pre-school/Kindergarten, died yesterday. I'm so shocked and saddened. We had known each other since we were little kids. We had gone to the same school (there was only one school in our town) all of our lives, all the way through high school.

There are a lot of us like that. Peachtree City was a very small town, growing as we grew up, but very small. We went to the same church, our parents were friends, he lived near another friend of mine so we would all play outside together when I was over at her house. In High School, our church youth group would all go to the beach together, every summer. I even pierced his ear on one of those beach trips, yes with 2 ice cubes and a gold ball bought at the souvenir shop. He and I would practicing driving a stick shift by taking turns in Chris Kendall's green Datsun B210. Good crazy memories.

Bobby and I weren't inclined to keep in touch after High School, I guess because as our high school grew we hung around with some different people, plus we'd each always been around. One of those things you don't think about, they are just there. So I still feel like we were friends, even though we hadn't seen each other in a very long time. I think time stands still for friends like that, they've been there your whole life, you figure you'll see them again sometime and just pick up where you left off. I wish I had gone to my reunion, just to say hello, just to hear what he'd been doing, how his family is, see pictures of his kids etc...

I've recently just gotten into facebook and enjoyed it but not given it much thought. Today, I think it is a wonderful tool. I'm sad to say that Bobby wasn't on FB or if he was, he and I had not made that connection, but I have reconnected with so many people from my past and right now I am so glad!! Why does it take such a tragic accident to make you realize you miss a person.

To Lisa, Dylan, Colt, David, Martha, and Gene, I'm so sorry to hear this news and will be thinking about you and praying for you. I will miss him.

post signature

8 comments:

Amanda Parker said...

So sorry Elizabeth. I'm sure everyone reading this who knows him will appreciate the memories you've shared.

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. I think we all take for granted that the people we grew up with will be around forever. It's just hard to imagine them not being here.

I will keep you and his family in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

All true...those are really nice reflections. I am sure Bobby would be honored.

By the way, that second picture is how I remember him: really tall and skinny with that curly hair!

Julee H. Nappier said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I guess it just shows us how fast ones we love can leave us. We HAVE to cherish every moment and not take things or people for granted...I'm bad about remembering that.(:

Heather said...

So sorry. Event hough this was an unexpected tragedy the older we get I guess this will happen more often... awful.

Anonymous said...

That is funny that Lea remembers the picture of him with the curly hair - I TOTALLY remember him as the cute little thing in the youngest picture.

Well written Elizabeth - I am thankful for facebook as well.

Anonymous said...

If Facebook has done anything for me, it has been to make me realize how important the "wonder years" were to me. People like your friend, help you become who you are today, and will always be a part of you. I love that you still have the pictures. Hopefully that's how you'll remember him -young, happy, and carefree.

Elizabeth said...

Sorry about your friend Elizabeth and thanks for sharing your feelings. I take way to many friends for granted, esp. lately. I'm going to pick up my cell phone tomorrow and start making some long overdue phone calls. I'm also going to walk outside, cross the street and knock on my across the street neighbors door, and have a chat with her. She's a great person.

:}